Us

Us

Monday, July 25, 2011

Fun Project

First, I just have to say that since bragging about how great I was feeling in the last blog post, pregnancy karma has come back to bite me in the ass and remind me to stay humble. Please forgive me, I won't let it happen again. ;-)

Our baby doesn't have her own room or even a crib, but I've still been working on some crafty projects to decorate her future room.

A few weeks back I snagged this frame from the free box at a friends' garage sale.
Some of the paint was peeling off the sides of the frame, but I could see it had some potential. 

I really want to do a cluster of white frames in baby girl's room. I saw this idea on Pinterest, the place where a lot of ideas come from these days. The woman took paint sample cards and a craft punch to make some pretty cool framed "art" for super cheap. 

Here's my version:
(Please pardon the poor lighting in most of these photos)
I started out by spray painting the frame white...I didn't take any pics of that part though. Then I picked up some paint sample cards at Walmart that I thought would coordinate with baby's bedding. And punched out the butterflies with my handy dandy Martha Stewart craft punch.



I went to Hobby Lobby to see about cutting some new mats for the frame, unfortunately it was going to cost $20 for new mats. Since I was trying to keep this little project cheap, I decided to try an alternative method using the mats already in the frame.

 

I figured if it didn't work out I could always go get the custom mats cut. I bought some scrapbook paper to cut and glue to the existing mats.

Since this mat was going underneath it didn't matter if some of the gold showed on the edge.

I used some sticky tabs for scrapbooking to attach the butterflies.


Then I put the whole thing in the newly painted frame and: Ta da!


It turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. All for less than $10, including the spray paint. 
Now to get a bedroom ready for this baby...

No comments:

Post a Comment