We are now 25 weeks along in the pregnancy. Our baby girl weighs somewhere around a pound and a half. She is now more proportionate in size and is plumping up and gaining fat. She is pretty active these days and I can feel her kicking all the time. I love it. I am still feeling really good. A few aches and pains, but nothing too crazy. I don't walk quite as fast as I used to, something I need to keep in mind when going somewhere on foot (like Starbucks at lunchtime). Mmmmm, Starbucks.
We had an amnio done a couple weeks ago and all the results came back normal. So, that is positive. The test needed to be done if we were going to proceed with the prenatal surgery to make sure there were no genetic abnormalities with our baby that "caused" the spina bifida.
We got a call from Dr Yang that the hospital board did not approve the fetalscopic surgery that he was proposing. They will allow the open procedure, which is the surgery they have been practicing for 10 or more years now. But after much consideration we have decided the risks vs. the rewards of the open surgery are just too great. It was the toughest decision I have ever made. We were really considering the new procedure since it seemed to minimize some of the risks we were concerned about. We really did not even consider that it might not be approved, we thought that was just a formality. It was a hard blow to take. But we have to move forward and keep believing it happened for a reason.
While Ron was on the phone getting the news from Dr Yang, I was calling and texting my sisters in Indiana to get updates on my mom. who was in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. She is doing much better now, heading back to work on Monday. But it was just another thing to add to our worries.
Ron finished law school...sort of. If you know my husband, you know he is a bit of a procrastinator, so there are a few loose ends to tie up. He did walk at commencement. Ron and Vicky were able to make it to town for a visit. And to witness their son's final graduation ceremony...we hope. ;-)
So in the next few weeks I guess we will be figuring out the plan for the rest of the pregnancy and delivery. I think we will probably be scheduling a C-section in St Louis. Baby will have surgery shortly after she is born. And then we will just have to wait and see how she does and when she will get to come home. Of course, we can make all the plans in the world knowing that things may not work out the way we think they will. But I think we've had enough curve balls for a while.
We are pretty much decided that we are going to wait until we meet our little girl to decide for sure on her name. We have several names on our list, which actually keeps getting longer rather than narrowed down. So you'll all have to wait until she's here for the big reveal.
We are still shopping for a new car. Which can be pretty exhausting. We are looking at new mid-size cars. We've driven the Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and Ford Fusion so far. I am excited to get the car we will bring our little girl home in. I am also excited to do some baby shopping. I'm really itching to start getting things set up for her.
I guess that's all for now. Be well.